Transformer is an electrical device which increases and decreases an alternating voltage. Transformer only works with alternating current
How transformer works:
- A transformer works on the principle of electromagnetic induction.
- When the a.c voltage, Vp is applied to the primary coil, an alternating current flows through the coil. The soft iron core is magnetized in one way and then the other.
- This causes a changing magnetic flux to pass through the secondary coil producing an a.c voltage Vs.
Types of transformer:
- Step up transformer: The number of turns in the secondary coil is more than the number of turns in the primary coil. Output voltage is higher than the input voltage.
- Step down transformer: The number of turns in the primary coil is more than the number of turns in the secondary coil.
Click on the diagram below to play!