- Standard solution is a solution whose concentration is known accurately.
- The solution is normally expressed in mol dm-3
- Standard solution can be prepared by using a calculated mass of solute or dilution method from concentrated solution.
MAKING STANDARD SOLUTIONS FROM CONCENTRATED AQUEOUS
Equipment typically used when preparing a solution in a volumetric flask includes the volumetric flask and its glass stopper, pipette, a medicine dropper, and a funnel. Water can be delivered from the beaker or wash bottle.
MAKING STANDARD SOLUTIONS FROM CALCULATED MASS
- Volumetric flask is more accurate than beaker for the preparation of standard solution.
- Water is added using dropper to bring the solution to the graduation mark.
- Standard solution must be covered by stopper to prevent the contamination of the standard solution by foreign particles.
- After preparing the standard solution, shake it well to ensure thorough mixing.