- There are two types of electric charge namely positive charge and negative charge.
- Like charge repel each other.
- Unlike charge attract each other
- Unit of charge is Coulomb, C.
- Electric field is a region where a charge experiences electrical force.
- Lines of force are used to represent the direction of an electric field.
Candle in the electric field
- Heat energy from the candle flame produces ionization of air molecules to form positive and negative ions.
- Movement of positive ions which are heavier towards the negative plate causes a bigger spread of the flame.
- Negative ions which are lighter move towards the positive plate and causing a smaller spread of the flame.