- An electromagnet is a coil which can produce a magnetic field when a current passes through it and losses all its magnetism when the current is switched off.
- Soft-iron is suitable to use as a core because it can be magnetized and demagnetized easily and also soft iron can concentrate the magnetic field.
- The steel core magnet remains magnetised when the current is switched off. Therefore, steel is not suitable as the core of electromagnets. Anyway, steel is suitable to use as a bar magnet.
Click on the diagram below to play!
- increasing the current flowing through the coil
- increasing the number or turns.
- the use of a soft iron core